Are you a Senior Safety Management Student seeking an Internship? You've heard our name tossed around on campus but need to know more about what you would be doing during your 12 weeks with Amerisafe Group. What better way to find out than to ask one of our most recernt interns.
Please meet Tyler Young, a Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania student who interned with Amerisafe Group during the Summer of 2018.
Ask the Intern
Summer 2018 Safety Interns
Adam Farmery (IUP Grad, now Full Time with Amerisafe), Michael Thompson, SRU Student, Tyler Young, SRU Student.
Interns will work with full-time with Project Managers and Safety Consultants at Amerisafe Group throughout a 12 week period directly shadowing on job sites gaining exposure within multiple industries. We have two homebase locations to intern. Interns will travel to multiple sites and different states depending on project location and availibility in the tristate area of PA,OH,WV areas.
To apply for the Pittsburgh area locations:
To apply for Philadelphia area locations:
- Investigate specific incidents and complaints to identify improvement strategies.
- Provide risk assessments and training to reduce risk in various workplaces.
- Inspect sites and identify potential OSHA and safety hazards, documenting recommendations.
- Present safety information to employees and management.
- Apply knowledge related to industrial workplace hazards and accident prevention in their workplace.
- Communicate with external resources such as hospitals, local fire departments, and rescue teams so that the proper emergency personnel are available.
- Review accident reports and document accidents using the proper forms and protocols, inspect facilities.
- Engage in worker safety training
- Conduct tests of environmental and workplace quality factors to comply with local, state, and federal laws regarding radiation, air quality, and other hazards.
- Research and present data related to employee accidents and hazards,
- Install or oversee the installation of safety devices and protective equipment.
- Inspect machinery and safety gear to ensure their proper operation and workers' protection
- Current students at the senior level working toward a Bachelor’s degree in Occupational, Health and Safety or related field
- Available for travel and work including weekends and various shifts
- The ability to evaluate technical information regarding workplace safety
- Proficiency with basic computer programs such as Microsoft Office
- The ability to identify safety threats
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Prior experience with construction or knowledge of construction terminology is a plus.